Manages, plans, and organizes the staff and activities of the Respiratory Therapy department.
- Provides leadership to Respiratory Care team members and supervisors by communicating and guiding toward achieving department objectives.
- Develops, communicates, and builds consensus for goals in alignment with the health system.
- Selects, develops, manages, and evaluates direct reports and oversees the selection, development, and management of indirect reports.
- Ensures performance appraisals are completed in a timely manner.
- Prepares and maintains staff schedules, payroll and employee files; participates in orientation and training of new hires.
- Provides cross training to improve efficiency of work flow and promote professional growth of staff and acts as an educational resource.
- Assists with developing and implementing protocols for all aspects of Respiratory Therapy.
- Analyzes outcomes data for purpose of performance improvement.
- Assures accurate and complete physician prescription; compares prescription requisitions with medical record order form, ensures information is complete and clarifies any discrepancies with ordering physician.
- Provides prescribed respiratory therapy as necessary; responds to Cardiac Team and STAT situations.
- Documents all activities and patient outcomes/responses per established protocols.
- Performs related duties as required. All responsibilities noted here are considered essential functions of the job under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Duties not mentioned here, but considered related are not essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Current License to practice as a Respiratory Therapist in New York State, and Current Respiratory Therapist (NBRC) Certification in New York State required, plus specialized certifications as needed.
- 6-8 years of relevant experience and 2-5 years of leadership / management experience, required.