This position is responsible for providing a combination of unit clerical duties and direct patient care duties as needed on the designated Patient Care Unit. The incumbent ensures that accurate and complete information is completed to facilitate coordination and communication between healthcare team. The incumbent performs clerical duties associated with supporting the Patient Care Unit and provides assigned direct patient care duties under the supervision of the registered nurse.
*1. Functions as a co-worker to the nurse and a key member of the nursing care team:
· Organizes patient care assignment and sets priorities.
· Alerts RN co-worker to changes in patient status i.e., alteration in comfort, skin integrity, alterations in breathing pattern, etc.
· Documents patient care and patient status changes hospital computer system and on the appropriate chart forms.
· Communicates routine information to RN periodically during shift i.e., intake and output.
*2. Assists RN in providing for ADL needs of patients:
· Prepares patients for meals, and feeds or assists with meals.
· Provides between meal nourishment and fresh water to patients.
· Bathes or assists patient to bathe, provides oral hygiene.
· Toilets patients as necessary.
· Maintains patient’s mobility with range of motion exercises and ambulation.
· Grooms patient, including shaving, as needed.
· Participates with the RN in the development of a plan of care for assigned patient.
· Utilizes a plan of care in carrying out patient assignments.
*3. Maintains patient care units including nursing station in a neat and orderly condition:
· Changes and makes beds.
· Cleans and straightens bedside table and over-bed tables, as needed.
· Strips patient units upon discharge of patient, in preparation for cleaning by Housekeeping Department.
· Removes equipment from room. Cleans and place it in appropriate are.
· Prepares room for new admissions, transfers and post-operative patients.
*4. Assists Registered Nurse by performing selected procedures and simple treatments:
· Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration rate and B.P. on admission and as assigned.
· Measures and records fluid intake and output; totals at shift end.
· Perform, mount and process EKG’s.
· Draw and process blood, as appropriate, within State and County guidelines.
· Obtains specimens, such as urine, stool and sputum.
· Administers enemas, as directed.
· Weighs and records patient weight on admission and as indicated.
· Shave patients as instructed in preparation for procedures.
· Performs simple procedures utilizing aseptic technique (i.e. – applying and changing simple dressings).
· Performs simple respiratory treatments, as required (i.e. – suctioning).
*5. Performs a variety of related duties:
· Assists patients in and out of bed, ambulates patients, lifts, turns and positions patients.
· Assists with serving of meals; positions patient, cleans over-bed table, and helps distribute and collect trays.
· Transports and accompanies patients to various departments, as directed.
· Reports missing or damaged equipment to Unit Service Coordinator.
· Maintains non-patient rooms (i.e., utility rooms, linen rooms, kitchens, etc.) in a neat and orderly condition.
· Maintains cleanliness of patient care equipment.
· Performs constant observation on selected patients as assigned.
· Follows medical Center’s policies and procedures to support QA/QI efforts in patient care and services.
· Performs post-mortem care and transports body to morgue.
*6. Takes part in Nursing’s continuing education policy by:
· Attending nursing attendant course during orientation program.
· Participating and completing annual mandatory educational requirements.
· Attending nursing attendant staff development programs offered throughout the year.
*7. Maintains medical record.
· Receives, reviews, and assembles paper aspect of Hybrid Medical Record of new admissions.
· Functions as the resource person for the content of the Hybrid Medical Record.
· Maintains paper portion of Hybrid Medical Record and ensures proper patient identification is located on all components of the record.
*8. Notifies nursing and medical personnel of the arrival of new patients.
*9. Screens calls and visitors, answers inquiries, makes referrals and ensures the delivery of mail and messages in a prompt and courteous manner.
*10. Maintains rosters of patients and their location, and maintains a medical
record book indicating the transmittal and disposition of the paper portion of the patient’s Hybrid Medical Record.
*11. Initiates requests for maintenance and housekeeping services and checks
the delivery of supplies and stocks appropriately.
*12. Maintains a defined inventory of operating supplies and initiates request
for needed items.
*13. Utilizes the principles of customer service in all aspects of the job
*14. Maintains patient rights and confidentiality of patient information.
*15. Participates in the orientation of new employees as directed by unit
*16. Communicates and works effectively on a daily basis with other staff and
other departments in regard to patient care issues.
*17. Assists with sending messages in hospital computer system and orders
supplies and equipment via computer systems as directed by unit leadership.
*18. Maintains a supportive, collegial relationship with fellow staff.
*19. Participates in unit or hospital based quality assurance activities or
committees as assigned.
*20. Completes and sends the Transition of Care Document to appropriate physician or patient care agency (rehab).
*21. Maintains accuracy of the correct attending physician identification in Soarian
22. All other duties as assigned within the scope of the job description
23. Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
· High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
· Completion of Nurse Assistant course or equivalent, required.
· Prior experience as a Nursing Attendant or equivalent, required.
· NYS Nurse Attendant certification, preferred.
· Ability to communicate effectively, and follow written and/or oral instructions.
· Ability to work in diversified settings.
· Ability to lift, turn, position, etc. Patients, as required.