Responsible for nutritional care of patients in assigned units. Plans, assesses, implements, and evaluates patient nutritional care plan. Assists in menu modifications and other nutritional related functions.
- Interviews patient and/or family for nutritional history, obtains patient food preferences, assesses patients, and documents in patients’ medical record.
- Conducts nutritional assessment, develops and implements patient specific care plans, and assists in recommending nutrition care plans to medical staff for review and consideration.
- Assists in recommending therapeutic diet modifications and/or supplemental feedings to physicians for patients, and ensures accuracy of diet order received by checking against physician’s order.
- Calculates nutrient content of tube feeding and dietary intakes as ordered by physicians.
- Provides nutritional guidance and counseling to patients and their families.
- Assists with changes to patient’s menu, including patient food preferences, and the development of standardized recipes, as well as assists in overseeing food service workers in proper food handing and portion control.
- Reports any malfunctioning of equipment, which may interfere with safe and smooth operations.
- Prepares, presents, and conducts individual and group education classes, and refers clients to community services, as needed.
- Develops and utilizes effective lines of communication regarding nutrition information within the program and community.
- Performs related duties as required. All responsibilities noted here are considered essential functions of the job under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Duties not mentioned here, but considered related are not essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, or equivalent combination of education and related experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Current Registered Dietician with the CDR required (or eligible for registration). Certified Dietician-Nutritionist (CDN) in New York State strongly preferred, plus specialized certifications as needed.
- 1-3 years of relevant experience, required, including internship experience.