Under direction and supervision of Registered Nurse, assists patients with activities of daily living, provides basic nursing care, and assists in maintenance of a safe and clean environment.
- * Functions as a co-worker to the nurse and a key member of the nursing care team:
- Organizes patient care assignment and sets priorities.
- Alerts RN co-worker to changes in patient status i.e., alteration in comfort, skin integrity, alterations in breathing pattern, etc.
- Documents patient care and patient status changes on the appropriate chart forms.
- Communicates routine information to RN periodically during shift i.e., intake and output.
- * Assists RN in providing for ADL needs of patients:
- Prepares patients for meals, and feeds or assists with meals.
- Provides between meal nourishment and fresh water to patients.
- Bathes or assists patient to bathe, provides oral hygiene.
- Toilets patients as necessary.
- Maintains patient’s mobility with range of motion exercises and ambulation.
- Grooms patient, including shaving, as needed.
- Participates with the RN in the development of a plan of care for assigned patient.
- Utilizes a plan of care in carrying out patient assignments.
- * Maintains patient care units in a neat and orderly condition:
- Changes and makes beds.
- Cleans and straightens bedside table and overbed tables, as needed.
- Strips patient units upon discharge of patient, in preparation for cleaning by Housekeeping Department.
- Removes equipment from room.Cleans and place it in appropriate are.
- Prepares room for new admissions, transfers and post-operative patients.
- * Assists Registered Nurse by performing selected procedures and simple treatments:
- Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration rate and B.P on admission and as assigned.
- Measures and records fluid intake and output; totals at shift end.
- Obtains specimens, such as urine, stool and sputum.
- Administers enemas, as directed.
- Weighs and records patient weight on admission and as indicated.
- Shave patients as instructed in preparation for procedures.
- Performs simple procedures utilizing aseptic technique (i.e – applying and changing simple dressings).Performs simple respiratory treatments, as required (i.e – suctioning).
- * Performs a variety of related duties:
- Assists patients in and out of bed, ambulates patients, lifts, turns and positions patients.
- Assists with serving of meals; positions patient, cleans overbed table, and helps distribute and collect trays.
- Transports and accompanies patients to various departments, as directed.
- Reports missing or damaged equipment to Unit Service Coordinator.
- Maintains non-patient rooms (i.e., utility rooms, linen rooms, kitchens, etc.) in a neat and orderly condition.
- Maintains cleanliness of patient care equipment.
- Performs constant observation on selected patients as assigned.
- Follows medical Center’s policies and procedures to support QA/QI efforts in patient care and services.
- Performs post-mortem care and transports body to morgue.
- * Takes part in Nursing’s continuing education policy by:
- Attending nursing attendant course during orientation program.
- Participating and completing annual mandatory educational requirements.
- Attending nursing attendant staff development programs offered throughout the year.
- Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Completion of Nurse Assistant course or equivalent, required.ORPrior experience as a Nursing Attendant or equivalent, required.
- NYS Nurse Attendant certification, preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, and follow written and/or oral instructions.
- Ability to work in diversified settings.Ability to lift, turn, position, etc. Patients, as required.