Purpose of position:
Provides clinical and administrative support regarding psychosocial patient/family needs to the palliative medicine consultation team.
- Attends daily rounds with team to discuss patients
- Provides psychosocial support to patients/families working as a member of the geriatrics and palliative medicine consultation team
- Assists the team to facilitate patient/family meetings in clarifying goals of care and plan of care
- Coordinates team efforts with appropriate hospital department to ensure smooth discharge planning and clear follow-up and continuity post discharge
- Attends periodic team meetings for the operational and administrative functions of the geriatrics and palliative medicine service including data collection, tracking of metrics, and report generation.
- Assists the geriatrics and palliative medicine program director/chief to ensure excellent patient care services, coordinating educational and outreach services, participating in quality improvement initiatives, and linking team efforts with other hospital departments and with outpatient and community services.
- Serves as a liaison with case management, community hospices to ensure care coordination and appropriate assignments and resource allocation to meet patient needs throughout the continuum of care.
• Master of Social Work with a minimum of two (2) years of clinical experience and licensed in the State of New York
• Advanced Certification in Palliative Medicine preferred