Performs electroencephalographic examinations according to established standards and practices as ordered by a Physician.
- Positions patient on examination table for optimum testing. Translates procedures into layman’s terms based on professional knowledge in order to relieve patient of pre-testing anxiety.
- Operates EEG equipment to take electroencephalographic tracings. Applies electrodes on predetermined measured positions on the patient’s head and checks performance, selects predetermined electrode combinations as well as special combinations made necessary by the case under study; obtains standard recordings, recognizing artifacts and taking appropriate steps to eliminate them.
- Records all abnormal clinical manifestations.
- Uses activating procedures such as hyperventilation, photic stimulation and sleep.
- Monitors other variables such as electromyograms, electrocardiograms, electrooculograms, respiration, etc.
- Transports EEG equipment to patient’s rooms and various departments, as required.
- Calibrates and adjusts EEG equipment. Keeps equipment in clean, operating condition, detects instrument malfunctions and makes minor maintenance adjustments or reports need to major repairs.
- Abstracts relevant information from patient’s clinical record and obtains additional information as necessary.
- Files and/or microfilms recordings.
- Completes and forwards charge slips for billing purposes, as required.
- May assist in the training of the technical staff.
- Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Previous clinical EEG Technician experience OR relevant internship, required.
- Certification, preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively.