Performs general clerical and receptionist duties supporting the labor and delivery patient care unit, including preparing, compiling and maintaining records in nursing unit.
- * Greets and interviews patients or their representatives. Records and types demographic and financial data on prescribed Labor and Delivery (L&D) forms.
- * Acts as receptionist, directing patients and families to Nursing personnel and physicians when assistance is needed.
- * Works closely with nursing staff to facilitate triage patient flow. Communicates pertinent information to ancillary departments regarding patient admissions.
- * Generates department records. Reviews and update insurance information.
- * Admits newborns and obtains medical record number for newborn infants.
- * Applies accurately identification labels to newborn infant blood specimens.
- * Makes L&D charts including vaginal, c-section, and fetal demise using jet forms to process forms.
- * Performs booking of L&D operating room procedures and cases. Books PAST appointments using hospital computer system.
- * Maintains all daily and monthly statistical information required by the unit.
- * Logs and bills for all services performed in L&D unit.
- * Stock units IV charts.
- * Validates Medicaid/insurance information.
- * Obtains approval of other insurers. Obtains and secures all necessary signatures on forms and consents according to established policies and procedures and insures that all information is complete and accurate.
- * Coordinates and maintains a logistics system to assure adequate and complete inventory of supplies essential for patient care in L&D unit.
- * Collaborates with Engineering, Housekeeping, Transport and Linen departments to ensure proper functioning of systems in unit.
- * Makes deliveries to other departments, as necessary.
- * Utilizes department computer system to perform order entry.
- * Interviews and assists patient in filling out forms for birth certificate.
- * Matches birth certificate with registration papers (mother and baby) and performs follow-up against admission list to ensure every birth is reported. Completes paternity affidavits and assists patient in completing forms.
- * Lists all births daily on transmittal sheet and batches work to Department of Health (DOH), Bureau of Vital Records.
- * Receives pre-registration and electronic birth certificate worksheets from physicians offices, completes pre-registration process, sends out baby prints brochures, reviews prenatal chart for completeness. Follows-up as needed.
- * Prepares identification bracelet, and labels, prints admission forms and records, assembles charts, enters necessary patient information into computer and distributes copies to necessary departments.
- * Maintains an internal log on information reported and the date submitted to DOH. Registrar is responsible for complying with New York State Health Code, Article 20, Title V, by reporting births within five days of delivery.
- * Performs a daily follow-up on all newborn admissions to prevent errors in processing. Reports finding to supervisor.
- * Transfers Hepatitis B information from nursing log to the Birth Certificate to be submitted to the DOH.
- * Interacts with patient, physician and staff to ensure timely and accurate processing of forms. Transfers Hepatitis B information from nursing log to birth certificate for submission to Department of Health.
- * Converses with DOH representatives on issues in relation to the birth registration process in the Hospital and in behalf of patient needs.
- * Maintains a sufficient supply of blank forms and places a new order with reasonable time frame.
- * Informs each new parent of the Hospital policy regarding the birth announcement to the local newspaper. Submits completed consent and paperwork to Community and Hospital Relations Department.
- * Inputs worksheet information into electronic birth certificate software program, prints birth certificate, downloads birth certificates to diskette at least three a week, prints EBC transmittal sheet and sends required printed certificates as well as paternity acknowledgments. Sends diskettes to DOH at least three a week or as requested.
- * Inputs patient information in electronic log. Maintains electronic birth registry log.
- * Interacts with ambulatory surgery and operating room for spontaneous, incomplete, missed and elective abortions to complete appropriate certificates.
- * Corrects certificates returned from DOH due to errors, omissions, etc. Obtains copies of birth certificate from patients and obtains unlock number from DOH. Assists patients with forms on birth to apply for Medicaid assistance.
- Performs related duties as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Minimum of six (6) months related clerical experience, required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, required.
- Good interpersonal skills to deal courteously with patients, families, physicians and all levels of hospital personnel, required.
- Ability to read, write, and perform calculations.