The Northwell Health Nursing Fellowship Programs offer a specialized orientation process to recent graduate or experienced registered nurses considering a career in a nursing care specialty. These specialized programs provide a strong foundation and the full complement of didactic and clinical experiences needed to develop competency in the specialty care arena.
The nurse fellowship experience at Northwell Health uses a blended learning approach to educate our nurses. The fellowship program consists of:
- Nurse leaders as mentors
- Essentials of Critical Care Orientation (ECCO), AACN’s web based critical care curriculum for adults and pediatrics as well as specialty core curriculum
- Professional seminars
- Associate Fellows – experienced unit specific nurses educated in the art of preceptorship of new graduate Nurse Fellows
- Master Fellows – masters and doctorally prepared educators providing education and guidance to the Nurse Fellows during the length of the Fellowship Program
- Simulation as a learning strategy. The elements of the fellowship program are educational interventions that can impact new graduate nurse retention, quality of care, and patient safety
The fellowships are a year in length in order to best optimize the nurse fellow’s learning experience; however a two-year commitment to the unit of hire is required. BSN required.
For more information about the programs and related start dates, please read below by clicking on program title. Please note: the location of the programs vary depending on participating hospital’s needs and start dates are subject to change.
Pediatric Nurse Fellowship Program
Our Pediatric Fellowship Program offers fellowships in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology and Pediatric Emergency Department
These fellowships are open to both recent graduates and experienced nurses. The pediatric nurse fellowship program offers a focused specialized education to prepare the novice pediatric nurse to work in high acuity pediatric areas with a focus on the acutely ill child.
The program includes three major components:
- Patient simulation experiences through the use of technically-enhanced, anatomically-correct mannequins such as SimBaby™, SimMan™, SimMan Essential™, SimMan 3G™ and SimJunior™
- Didactic experiences and professional seminars including comprehensive pediatric assessment, developmentally focused pediatric patient care management, interprofessional collaboration and family centered care
- Direct care assignments that include hands-on experience working with infants and children under the guidance of a Master Fellow, Senior Associate Fellow and Associate Fellow
2016 Start Date: TBD
The William Randolph Hearst Critical Care Nursing Fellowship
This fellowship is available to recent graduates and experienced nurses interested in the education, resources and tools to advance to the next level in critical care.
This three-phase fellowship focuses on Critical Care within a selected range of specialties: cardiothoracic ICU, coronary care, medical ICU, neuroscience ICU, Post Anesthesia Care Unit, cardiac catheterization lab and surgical ICU.
The program includes three major components:
- Patient simulation experiences through the use of technically-enhanced, anatomically-correct mannequins such as SimMan™, SimMan Essential™, SimMan 3G™, and SimJunior™
- Didactic experiences and professional seminars that focus on comprehensive assessment skills, patient care management, interprofessional collaboration and nursing models of care delivery
- Direct care assignments across the range of selected specialties
2016 Start Dates: October 10
Emergency Department Nurse Fellowship Program
The Emergency Department Nurse Fellowship Program is a three-phase fellowship that focuses on medical, surgical and high-risk emergency care.
In addition, the fellows are educated in the care of neurological, cardiac and trauma emergencies, acquiring the skills they need to work in a high-acuity, fast-paced emergency department.
The program includes four major components:
- Patient simulation experiences through the use of technically-enhanced, anatomically-correct mannequins such as SimBaby™, SimMan™, SimMan Essential™, SimMan 3G™, SimJunior™, and SimMom™
- Clinical rotations within selected departments and in the emergency department
- Individualized education and mentoring
- Professional seminars and education sessions that focus on current emergency nursing modalities
2017 Start Dates: January 23, April 10, July 31 & October 9
Perioperative Nursing Fellowship
We are excited to offer a career training and development opportunity to new grads and experienced Registered Nurses seeking to gain Operating Room knowledge and experience.
A variety of teaching methods will be used including lectures, workshops, independent study, role playing, case scenarios, and simulation. This training will run for approximately six (6) months and be broken into two separate parts.
2016 Start Dates: October 24