The 2019 Healthcare Management Program Internship Experience
When 34 Summer Associates started their first day at orientation in June of their 10 week Healthcare Management Program Internship, they didn’t realize how impactful their experiences this summer would be. Coming from all over the nation, junior college students joined Northwell to work across 23 hospitals, service lines and departments to be immersed into the day to day operations of a healthcare administrator. Mentored by Northwell team members and leaders, each Summer Associate had an unforgettable experience.
Working closely with their assigned mentor, our Summer Associates had the opportunity to work on real, meaningful projects that had a major impact on Northwell’s business operations. Projects that they were then able to present out to their fellow Summer Associates, Northwell leaders and executives during presentations at the end of their 10 weeks. This summer, over 100 projects were worked on by our Summer Associates, some examples include:
- OR turnover time analysis through processing mapping and SWOT analysis to implement process improvement ideas in the operating room.
- Helping to implement a new registration workflow for a new facility that is opening.
- Designing and implementing a brand-new, more efficient patient tracking system to reduce ambiguity of the patient progress and location and to minimize any delays in turnaround time between cases.
- Designing a scorecard to analyze EMS vs walk-in volume, EMS agencies who bring in the most patients, cardiac arrest, trauma and stroke patients, triage levels, and contribution margins in the Emergency Department.
- Compiling data to track the availability of beds in order to improve patient flow and communication by developing an automated dashboard.
- Helping to prepare for Joint Commission Certification surveys.
- Staffing analysis to determine the need to increase staff due to the opening of a new unit or service.
- Determining the idle bed time- time from when a patient has been cleared for discharge, to when the patient leaves their room- by looking at team member process efficiency.
Summer Associates also had the opportunity to participate in weekly Educational Sessions at various hospitals and service lines and team building. This summer they also attended the Nurses Night Yankee game along with Northwell nurses, had a team building session at the beach where they played Northwell trivia and beach games and cooked meals at the Ronald McDonald House of Long Island to feed families with sick children and give back to the community.
The 10 week experience was more than an internship, it was a stepping stone to help junior college students realize their full potential and career opportunities after graduating from college. Don’t just take our word for it, hear from some of our 2019 Summer Associates!
“The HMP has helped a lost Biology major find his way and believe in himself for his future career. This program is truly phenomenal. I have made connections that I believe will last throughout my entire career.”
“My 10-weeks at the Cancer Service Line flew by! From day one, I was given meaningful projects and assignments that had a direct impact on the patient experience. The Healthcare Management Program provided me the opportunity to explore Northwell’s extensive health system while also being a valued member of the team at my own site. I could not have asked for a better internship experience!”
“The Healthcare Management Program was an entirely unique internship that provided me with opportunities I wouldn’t have gotten anywhere else. From day one I was seen as a valued member of my team and given meaningful projects that had a tangible impact on the organization. Not only was I able to grow my professional and technical skillset, but I was able to form genuine relationships with my fellow interns that will last far longer than these 10 weeks!”
“The Healthcare Management Program was an incredible experience during which I had the opportunity to get hands-on project management experience, to build relationships with clinicians and administrative leaders, and learn something new every day about what it means to be a healthcare administrator. I was empowered to do meaningful work to make patient care better and better every day and this internship has inspired me to pursue a career in healthcare administration.”
“This internship is like no other. The amount I learned regarding hospital management and operations over these past 10 weeks is exceptional, and I have gained exposure that has strengthened my leadership skills.”
“The HMP internship gave me first hand insight into what the field of hospital administration looks like. I got a real feel for what healthcare management is and I can’t wait to continue my path in this field thanks to the HMP!”
“This summer has been a very rewarding experience for me. I was able to touch almost every aspect of healthcare administration, and my mentors were sure to give me exposure to whatever I was interested in.”
Unbelievable summer, great experience, great environment, best team! I learned so much this summer and grew so much professionally that I can confidently say I want to go into healthcare for sure as a result of this program.”
Subscribe to our blogs
Stay up to date with stories you want to know more about right to your email inbox.