Working closely with their assigned mentor, our Summer Associates had the opportunity to work on real, meaningful projects that had a major impact on Northwell’s business operations. Projects that they were then able to present out to their fellow Summer Associates, Northwell leaders and executives during presentations at the end of their 10 weeks. This summer, over 100 projects were worked on by our Summer Associates, some examples include:
- OR turnover time analysis through processing mapping and SWOT analysis to implement process improvement ideas in the operating room.
- Helping to implement a new registration workflow for a new facility that is opening.
- Designing and implementing a brand-new, more efficient patient tracking system to reduce ambiguity of the patient progress and location and to minimize any delays in turnaround time between cases.
- Designing a scorecard to analyze EMS vs walk-in volume, EMS agencies who bring in the most patients, cardiac arrest, trauma and stroke patients, triage levels, and contribution margins in the Emergency Department.
- Compiling data to track the availability of beds in order to improve patient flow and communication by developing an automated dashboard.
- Helping to prepare for Joint Commission Certification surveys.
- Staffing analysis to determine the need to increase staff due to the opening of a new unit or service.
- Determining the idle bed time- time from when a patient has been cleared for discharge, to when the patient leaves their room- by looking at team member process efficiency.