2021 is the second consecutive year Northwell Health has been awarded “Best Health System for Diversity” in the nation by DiversityInc. It is the ninth consecutive year that the organization has been included on this list.
As New York State’s largest health care provider and private employer, Northwell has 76,000 employees who are a reflection of the communities they serve: one of the nation’s most diverse populations. Building an organization and work environment where everyone feels valued and included is integral to Northwell’s journey toward the tenets of diversity, inclusion and health equity for its team members, patients and communities.
Here are just a few examples of how Northwell Health has prioritized diversity and inclusivity
• We’re proud of being one of the first health systems, in partnership with the Healthcare Anchor Network, to declare racism a public health crisis.
• We continue to address health and racial disparities for COVID-19. More than any other health system, Northwell treated more COVID-19 cases – more than 191,000 patients – over a 13-month span as it collaborated with state and local government to aggressively roll out diagnostic testing and then vaccination efforts to underserved communities across New York City, Long Island and Westchester.
• Our Emerging Leaders Diversity & Inclusion Council — whose members include women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans with a passion for leadership — is empowered to build a culture of diversity awareness and inclusion to attract, develop and retain enthusiastic and ambitious talent for all leadership levels.
• Our neurodiversity virtual mentorship program and summer internship program offer neurodiverse college students insights into a career in health care while cultivating a better understanding of how to support our neurodiverse population within the workplace.
• Team members can join one of our many Business Employee Resource Groups (BERGs), which enhance engagement, innovation and talent development while promoting an inclusive culture by celebrating our differences and commonalities. Our BERGs range from our Expressions BERG, which includes team members who are passionate about promoting unity, health equity and awareness of the LGBTQIA+ community, to our Bridges BERGs, which focus on Asian, Black/African American, Jewish and Latinx communities, among others.
• As a Military Friendly Employer award winner, we support service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life with career training, veteran-friendly transition programs, health and wellness services, MOS code job search, a student veteran mentorship program, and other resources.
• Our spirit of caring and celebration infuses every holiday, from legal holidays to meaningful religious observances to national days. Our team members strive to make each holiday special.
In addition to the top hospitals ranking, Northwell was also included on several other DiversityInc specialty lists. Northwell ranked eighth among top companies for Veterans, sixth for Latino Executives, No. 10 for Asian American Executives and No. 11 for Talent Acquisition for Women of Color.
DiversityInc examined companies using a 200-question survey that focused on six key areas: Leadership accountability, human capital diversity metrics, talent programs, workforce practices, supplier diversity and philanthropy.
Click here to learn more about Northwell’s commitment to diversity and inclusion and discover a career well cared for.